10.01.2008

Grams.

My dear Grandma Rawlins (also known as "Grams") died yesterday. She was 85 years old. She has been sick for some time, so it was a little expected, but it is still sad knowing we won't see her again in this life. We always lived a few states away from Grams, so it was an exciting trip to travel up to Washington to visit with her and my aunt, uncles, and cousins.

Grandma loved her family dearly. She raised 6 children, and has 27 grandchildren, and I have no idea how many greats she has...

I am sad my children will never know her like I did. We have always lived so far away that Grams only has seen Taylor and he was pretty young to remember her. She leaves a great legacy behind.

I can only imagine the reunion she had with Grandpa yesterday. Grandpa passed away almost 33 years ago. He came to get her and take her back with him on what would of been their 66th wedding anniversary. I have no doubt there was any coincidence in her passing on their anniversary. Grandpa was waiting for that special day to come and get her.

Here is one of the last photos, that I have of her from my wedding.
Photobucket

Here she is with my Mom in 1948.

Photobucket
...and with my Mom her senior year of high school at her Golden Green Ball.

Photobucket

I will be going up to Washington to attend the funeral, and look forward to seeing all my relatives that I haven't seen in years. Love you Grams...

7 comments:

Melissa said...

Hi Cara, It's Melissa, JaNae's friend. I'm sorry about your Grandma. I decided to wander over to your blog, finally. I may continue lurking. I may even add you to my list, if that's alright with you. You're blog is super cute! Anyway, I need your help. I'm going to have to start cloring my own hair. It's like the equivilant of $200-$300 here if I go off base and I haven't checked on base. I'm pretty sure I still can't afford it. So any tips would be great.

Nessa said...

Sorry for your loss. I love the photo of her with you mom as a baby..it's sweet. I hope you have a safe trip and enjoy seeing all your family.

Kendra said...

Thanks for posting about Grandma! It will be nice to see our relatives and to celebrate Grandma's life. I agree it was the perfect time. I thought of her being with Grandpa and got a really warm feeling inside...I know they are together and so happy! They have missed each other for too long! I can't wait to see you. I will be there on Sunday around 6pm!

Mrs. Morty said...

Partings like this are so bitter sweet. Its a blessing and yet you know you will miss that person in you life. I'm sorry your Grandma passed away and I hope you feel the comfort of the Lord

Angela said...

Im so sorry about your Grams! But what a sweet reunion your grandparents have had! :) Im glad you get to go back and see all your family, and say goodbye to your Grams one last time! :) Be safe!

salty c-snake said...

Sorry to hear about you Grams. What beautiful pictures you have of her, and what a beautiful love story ending, to join her husband on her anniversary. I hope your weekend if full of peace and family love!!

colby

Andy said...

Sorry to hear that Cara. My great-grandma Marie just died last week as well. We'll have to write our memories of them for our kids to know them a little. Rebecca