7.13.2008

Lillian.



I don't really know where to begin with this post, but it is something I have had on my mind for awhile. I really wanted to do something on June 20, but I didn't, and I wish I would of. I am not good with words, but hope I can express my feelings the way that I want to.


This is Lilly, my niece. She was born June 20, 2003, she would of turned 5 this year. She is the daughter of my brother Aaron and his wife Jennifer. She died unexpectedly from a rare blood disease, that nobody knew she had until her sudden death April 1, 2004. The reason I wanted to share her with everyone, is because she is a very special part of our family, even though she isn't with us anymore. I think of her often, and I especially wonder how her parents cope with losing a child. I know so much of their strength comes from the knowledge we share of the gospel of Jesus Christ, that someday we will be with our loved ones again if we live worthy in this life.

This is one of the reasons Lilly is such a special part of our family. She is a reminder to us that in order to be able to really know her we need to be better people and live the gospel. I didn't have the opportunity to really know her because at the time I lived in another state, I'm sad about that now, but I know she was so loved by all who knew her. She gives me the desire to try harder each day to be a better person.

The reason this had been on my mind so much lately is I was reminded recently how quickly loved ones can be taken from us. (If you want to know why you can read on adailyscoop.blogspot.com) I was also reminded of what my brother and his wife might be going through. Last weekend, while at our family reunion, the "emotional break through" I was talking about in an earlier post, was that they were able to share with us some of the agony they are still feeling, that we as their family didn't understand, because we didn't loose our child. I can only hope that we understand a little better, and that we can share Lillian's life out loud rather then not talking about it.

Lillian was too perfect for this world, and I would only hope that we can all try a little harder to be better people. I love my family and I have a new appreciation for my brother and his wife, they are very blessed to have that perfect child.

I am so glad they named her Lilly, because we will always think of her when we see a lily.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thank you Cara for remembering Lilly in such a sweet way. It helps us more than we could ever express to know that she is still loved and thought of often by others. Even though it has been four years, every day is, and will be, a healing process until we are reunited with her again. It is so comforting to know that her memory carries on in the hearts of our family members. And that part of her purpose, we believe, is being fulfilled . . . to give our families a tangible desire to live accordingly so that we may ALL return home, together. How blessed we all are to have Lilly in our family. I can think of no greater motivator to live righteously than a perfect child who is waiting for us! Thank you again for remembering our sweet Lillian.

Love, Aaron & Jenn

Unknown said...

What a beautiful way to remember Lillian. I have heard you talk about her many times while doing my hair and I have been fortunate of seeing her precious picture in your kitchen. It was great to see even more beautiful pictures of her on your blog. She truly was a Lilly, and her parents couldn't have given her a more "perfect" name, for she is perfect.
Thank you for sharing your memories with me, I feel that she has touched my life. I know how much you all love and miss her.

salty c-snake said...

What a beautiful little girl. I'm glad you shared those pictures. When you met my Lily, you told me about your niece and I've wondered what she looked like.

I also appreciated reading the comment by Aaron and Jen. I can't imagine what strength and grace it takes for parents to go on after losing a child. It really touched me thinkng that her purpose can be to remind us of our own. It makes me want to be better and enjoy the time I have with my own children.

Celestia said...

Thank you Cara for reminding me of our eternal family. I feel blessed to know that since I am too a relative, I will get to meet Lily some day as well.