5.25.2009

a Meers Burger & the Witchita Mtns.

Since we have lived in Oklahoma for almost 3 years we decided we needed to get out and see a little more of the state. We had heard about the Witchita Mountains from our friends that live down in Witchita Falls, TX. Then a few weeks back we were watching the Food Network and heard that the Meers burger was rated one of the top 3 bugers in the US...so we had to check it out!

My friend Colby warned us to be there when it opened or you would wait...a long time. We got there about 15 minutes after it opened, and the restaurant was already full, and we still had to wait about 30 minutes to get a table!
Photobucket
the Kids out in front of the old Meers restaurant.
Photobucket
Dale stuffed himself with a whole burger...you can see at the bottom of the picture how huge they are...that is only half...Maddie and I shared, and we together could only eat half!
Photobucket
When Dale saw there was homemade cherry cobbler and homemade ice cream, he decided to splurge...check out the portion! It was seriously so YUMMY!
Photobucket
This was what it looked like when we left...the line was out the door and up the street...I can't imagine how long it took them to get a table!

After our tummies were full we headed into the Witchita Mountains Wildlife Refuge on the lookout for some Buffalo...
Photobucket
We found lots of rocks for the kids...and Dad to climb on.

Photobucket
...and we saw some Buffalo and Texas Longhorn cattle! (that's where they get the beef for those Meers burgers!) The kids were too scared to get out of the car for a picture.
Photobucket
Maddie found some flowers to pick.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I decided to jump out and get a little closer too...Dale told me to put up my longhorns as I was running back to the car...and he caught it...so I had to share :)
Photobucket
Photobucket
On the top of Mt. Scott.
Photobucket
We had so much fun climbing around and just taking in the scenery...who would of thought Oklahoma could be so nice?!
Photobucket
Taylor would of climbed all day if we would of let him!
Photobucket
Maddie on top of the world!
Photobucket
Taylor took a turn with the camera...I've learned that if I let him take some pictures, he is more willing to be in a picture.
Photobucket
Two Thumbs up for the Witchita Mountains!

10 comments:

The Foys said...

Oh my heck I want to go so bad!!! It looks like you guys had such a fun time :0) Love the pictures of you with the cattle!

K Bailey said...

Gorgeous Pics Cara!

Mrs. Morty said...

I didn't know there were mountains in Oklahoma!! Obviously we need to get out more. I want to see that picture of your long horns enlarged and framed by the next time I'm at your house :)I think 30x30 will suffice.

boys in the hood said...

Silly girl...you should have told us you were going there. It looks like it would have only been a 5 hour drive for us! I would make that drive in a heartbeat for a burger like that!

Jared

Lindsey said...

Wow looks like lots of fun...we'll have to try that sometime...I didn't know Oklahoma had mountains either :)

salty c-snake said...

glad you had fun!! wish we could have come!! next adventure. . .turner falls!!

Anonymous said...

How fun, you all looked like you were really enjoying the day. Good pictures Cara and Taylor.

Poppy

Nessa said...

I am so sad that I have spent 20plus years in Oklahoma and you have been out exploring the state more then I ever have. What fun!!! I wanna go back....already...lets switch you live in Provo and I live in Oklahoma...okay ;) GREAT post!

The Biermann Family said...

Looks like you all had a great day! How fun!

Tracy Crowe Jones said...

Tidbit of trivia from a displaced Okie: The Wichita Mountains (long, long ago) used to be taller than the current Rocky Mountains.

Thanks for the tip on Meers. Now I know where I want to go next time I get back home.