7.28.2011

The Cake…

I had a few people comment on wanting to know how I made the cake.  I had seen it done on the internet before, so when Maddie mentioned a rainbow party I knew I had to attempt the cake. 
The first thing I did was buy the "good" food coloring at Michael’s.  That stuff really works!  I bought a white cake and followed the directions on the box, making sure you don’t put in the yolk.  Then you separate the batter into six bowls, or however many colors you want to do.  Using the food coloring, color the batter adding more food coloring to get the color the way you like it.  Then you start layering the batter.  Begin with the color you want on the bottom and pour it in the middle of the pan, then pour the next color on top of that, etc…until you have the colors layered on top of each other.  The weight of each layer of batter will spread.  Your cakes will look like this:
305web
Then you bake them.  I made them the night before the party, I put them in the freezer over night, I think that makes them taste better too.  I used whipped cream frosting.  Maddie had also requested a “peace sign” on her cake, so I used skittles to make the peace sign.  I had seen oreo cookies used on a cake before, so I just put those on for added décor.  I was pretty happy with the result…and it tasted yummy too!
005web112web
Sorry about the blurry picture…I was in a hurry to get it, there were 8 little girls dying to get a piece, and I only got this shot. Dang it, it wasn’t focused right…oh well, you get the idea!
If you feel like you need more instruction, you can probably find a video on you tube too.
And to answer Colby’s questions…
They colored a Mural to add to the others up in the play room and they made necklaces and bracelets.  They also painted on their own canvas bags that we put candy and art supplies in to take home.


I hope you all try this cake, it was a lot of fun to make.

No comments: